Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I recently lost my job, was out of work for about 2 months,

I recently lost my job, was out of work for about 2 months, and now have found a new job. During the time I was out of work, I kept making my child support payments at the previous rate.

My new job is at a lower salary. When should I begin conversations with my Ex about adjusting the child support amount?

Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

I suggest that you can file a Modification in the court that issued the Court Order for child support. In the Modification you will note that you lost your job, in good faith and anticipation of getting a job that paid the same or more you continued to pay, but now you have a job that is significantly lower in pay and need to have the child support modified accordingly

Samuel-II :

You can get the Modification documents from the clerk of the court and you should be able to proceed without the help of a local attorney.

Samuel-II :

Just tell the clerk that you want to file a Child Support modification pro se, on your own

Customer:

So there's no minimum amount of time that the new circumstances have to be in place before I can try to make changes?

Samuel-II :

No. I suggest you file the modification now

Samuel-II :

As long as you can show that you have tried to get work making the same money and just not available at this time, and that you are not deliberately trying to self impoverish, you should get a modification, if even temporary

Samuel-II :

If you have other questions, you may reply here and I will continue to assist you. Otherwise, please rate "good to excellent" below so that I may get credit for my time and information to you in this regard. Thanks

Customer:

Thank you. // KTM