Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

I am 20 years old and I have a son who is two years old. I

I am 20 years old and I have a son who is two years old. I recently had another baby with a different man, with whom I am going to marry, but my sons dad does not pay any child support and demands that I let him see him? Do I have to give him visitation rights if he doesn't help support him?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Was he named as the father with his consent on the birth certificate?
.
Did he sign a voluntary acknowledment of paternity with the Office of Vital Statistics?
.
Does dad have any type of custody order from the court?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes he is on the birth certificate. Yes he signed the paternity paper at the hospital when my son was born. And no nothing had been set up in court before.
Ok, then legally he would be presumed to be the child's father. However, in order to force you to allow him to see the child or have any custodial time, he would have to file a formal paternity lawsuit and get a judge to issue a custody order allowing him some type of custody/visitation. Along with this, you can ask the judge to establish a child support order as well. So if he wants to file for an order to force custody, the he will likely be forced to pay child support as well. So it is a double edged sword and he can't get all the benefits of fatherhood without the expenses as well.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.