LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

How is child support for twins calculated in California?

Customer Question

What is the percentage I have to pay as child support for twins in California? I am trying to get a divorce. My wife said I have to pay 65% (1600) as child support for my twins. I want to know if this is correct or if she is trying to get me to pay for my stepsons too.

Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 3 years ago.

I'm a licensed attorney. I am Sure sorry for your circumstances and will try and help out.

I'm pleased to share some good news with you. What you're being told really doesn't make sense or follow the law in California. Child support is calculated on some complex calculations taking into account a multitude of factors. In other words, the law does not say for "X" number of children you'll automatically pay "Y" percentage of your net disposable income or anything along those lines.

Here's what you can do, however, and it's free of charge. Plug your data and information into the following tool to get the best idea of what you might be looking at by way of child support for your twins:

California Guideline Child Support Calculator

Walk through each step, enter your numbers, and you'll get the most reliable estimate of where things really stand.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I hope all works out for you.

Happy New Year!

Take care,

Ben, J.D.