Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law

ra - es

Customer Question

I think my divorce lawyer is playing games. I retained her almost 4 yrs ago, i always get an excuse when i confront her about the time limit. Hospitalization, office closed ex. my husband and i have been apart for almost 3 yrs, we dont have much, the house is going into foreclosure. I want to fire her , but she said no money will be returned. Im having problems finding more money to pay for another lawyer. Im stuck.

Please help
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. I am working on your answer now and will post it here shortly. Thank you for your patience while I prepare your answer.

Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

In NY, there are grievance committees charged with aiding in resolving disputes and complaints about attorneys. The committee you should contact will depend on where the case is pending.

Here is a link that provides the contact information for the appropriate committee to contact:

You may wish to inform your attorney first that you intend to file a complaint if your case is not promptly addressed by her, as she may move to withdraw from the case once you do file a complaint.

hope this helps clarify the situation for you.

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Kindly remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger. Thank you and all the best to you in 2013.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have: