Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

I have a daughter who is pregnant who struggles with mental

Customer Question

I have a daughter who is pregnant who struggles with mental illness and ADHD, I know that she wants her baby but do not feel that she will be able to provide 24 hour safety for the baby, she lives with me. Would it be better for me to pursue adoption or guardianship. I want her to continue to be as involved as much as possible as the mother. She is destabililizing now and we have been warned by physicians about the possiblilty of sever post partum depression.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 3 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
How old is your daughter?

Did she live with you?

Is she married to the father?

Is the father going to be interested in being involved with the child?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is21, she lives with me, she did not marry the father and they have separated, limited interest by father, does not want custody but wants to visit, has anger and chemical issues

Dear JACUSTOMER - Much of this will depend on your daughter and what she will agree to. Unless you have a legal guardianship over her she is a legal adult and can make her own decisions as to the child. If she agrees to give you custody and the father does not object then it would be very simple to get an agreed order of custody from the court. However, if she or the father do not consent then you would have to file a motion for custody in the family law court and show that the parents are not fit to raise the child. Adoption is much more complicated ans would need the consent of both parents. Until the child is born there is nothing you can do about custody or adoption.