Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I have an Corp. A extension was filed in Oct. 2012 to IRS.

I have an Corp. A extension was filed in Oct. 2012 to IRS. I just received a letter from them saying that I owed $780.00 for filing late. What are my options? I don't want to pay this. The business that does my taxes should have let me know this!!!
I am afraid that while the IRS will permit someone to ask for an extension to file, there are penalties associated with late filings. The CPA you used should have informed you of the late payment fee or penalty when they advised you to file for the extension and you can file a claim against the CPA for being negligent in failing to inform you AND also you have to prove that he actually had time to file your taxes properly when you brought them to him. If you can prove both of those things, you can file a complaint for negligence against the CPA and go to small claims court against him if he does not pay, but if you cannot prove both elements I am afraid you will end up paying it.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”