Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

i broke up with my girlfriend, she wants gifts she gave me

Sunday, my girlfriend got me gifts as a late Christmas present; a $595 leather jacket, and a couple other small things.
we broke up the following day.
when we broke up she demanded her gifts back.
she was she would be showing up at my door step with her 'police' friends from kirkwood to get the gifts back.
I live in Maryland heights.

I need to know if I have to give her her gifts back.
And if those cops are even allowed to do anything, A considering they are from kirkwood and not maryland heights. or B if it's a legal matter a lawyer would need to handle.

I need to know all the details so I know exactly my rights are and what is allowed to happen and what is not.

Thank you
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Question: Sunday, my girlfriend got me gifts as a late Christmas present; a $595 leather jacket, and a couple other small things.
we broke up the following day.
I live in Maryland heights.

Response 1: No, you do not. The gift is complete and thus yours upon delivery, upon your receipt of the items. She cannot have them back.

Response 2: The gifts are now 100% yours. She cannot get them back. She cannot use the Police to get them back. This is a civil matter. The Police do not have any right whatsoever to get involved. If they do get involved, it would be abuse of their office and they should be reported to the Attorney General's office.

The Police cannot interfere in the case, come to your door and demand that you turn over the gifts to your ex-girlfriend. Once delivered, the gifts become the sole property of the person whom they were delivered to.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much for this.

Now, I do not have the receipts. I have the tags but I do not have the receipts for the jacket or other gifts. She kept those, she warped the gifts up and handed them to me.
Does that make any difference?

Thank you so much for this.

Does that make any difference?

Response: No, it does not. When you give someone a gift, you generally do not give them the receipts for the gifts. That would be generally considered tacky for someone to give you the receipts for your gifts.