How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33260
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I get married in Mexico (State of either Jalisco or Nayarit)

This answer was rated:

If I get married in Mexico (State of either Jalisco or Nayarit) do I still need to get married in a Maryland ceremony for it to be state and federally recognized (I am a US government employee)?
Yes, the US and Mexico have treaties whereby each recognize marriages done in the other country. The marriage in Mexico must be a civil ceremony to be recognized. Once the civil ceremony has been conducted, the couple will then have to obtain a certified copy of their marriage certificate (known as the Acta de Matrimonio), which proves they have been wed in accordance with Mexican law. When they return to the US then they get the certificate "authenticated." This is done by the Office of Authentications in the State Department which you can contact at

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating since that is the only way I get credit for my work. However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.
JD 1992 and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will th State Department register my marriage in the State of Maryland or will I have to do that at my County Clerk's Office??? Tks
You have to go through the State Department and get it authenticated and then you can file it with the county clerk along with the authentication.

Related Family Law Questions