TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

My married daughter wants to move back to MD and start her

My married daughter wants to move back to MD and start her life over. The basic facts are: She was married in OK on 5/30/2009. Her and her husband moved to MD in December of that same year. She had a daughter in June, 2010. Two weeks after the child was born, he abandoned her and moved back to OK. She moved back to OK in February, 2011. They lived together off and on for 6 months and then finally separated in August, 2011. She filed for child support in September, 2011 through DHS. He is 6 months behind in child support and there is a court date set for February 23, 2013 for non-payment of child support.

Question: She wants to move here and start over but what are the legal implications?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Assuming there is no custody order that limits your daughter's right to take the child out of state, then she may legally do so. If the father were to file for custody or visitation prior to the move (or soon afterward), then he would likely be able to obtain a court order preventing the child from being moved out of OK. So, I'd likely move quickly if I were your daughter. With regard to child support, however, the OK court will continue to have jurisdiction even though the child would be in MD. So, the biggest implication as to child support is the inconvenience of dealing with the OK courts even after the move.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need clarification, and please remember to rate my answer (positive feedback is most appreciated).