Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

Will my daughter's ex-spouse get her inheritance?

My daughter has been divorced for two years, but I have noticed that she still keeps her husband's last name. What will happen if I was to die and leave some inheritance for her? Will her ex husband be able to get any of her inheritance?

Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.

No, you don't need to worry about her ex receiving any portion of her inheritance. When the divorce occurred it severed any legal connection between them so he could not inherit if she were to somehow pass after inheriting from you. The only exception would be if she actually left a will leaving him an inheritance. Someone can have a will drafted that leaves their property to anyone they want. But it would have to be an intentional act on her part.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much I'm satisfied with your answer.

Ciro

You are very welcome. Glad I could help.

Thanks.