Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

If I file for legal separation, how long does it take to be

If I file for legal separation, how long does it take to be granted. Can I buy a property while separated and my spouse not be entitled to any of it?? I live in KY, We have no children, and this will not be contested.

We also have everything joint accounts etc and we share insurance, I am currently on my wife's insurance and I'm self employed. My main concern is health insurance....
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

As long as your spouse will not object to the granting of legal separation, the court will grant the legal separation and it generally can take up to 60 days to finalize legal separation.

Any property that is acquired by your or your spouse would not be considered marital property, however you can still remain on your wife's insurance and also upon the expiration of one year from the time legal separation is approved, either you or your spouse can file for divorce and the court shall grant it.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you,

What is your advice for separating accounts and debt and assets?

Thank you for your follow up and for accepting my answer.

I cannot provide you with any type of legal advise, as that can only be done by your local attorney, but I can provide you with general legal answer.

Generally, most people would try to reach an agreement related to distribution of their marital assets prior to filing for legal separation.