S. Huband, Esq.
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced, and knowledgeable family law attorney.
70026054

Hello! My case is located in florida. The minor children are

Hello! My case is located in florida. The minor children are 5 & 7. My ex is re-married and pays me $334 a month which was based on minimum wage as he was unemployed at the time of the hearing. It's been years now, he is gainfully employed and I want an increase! I am wondering about how much will a lawyer charge me to handle this matter? How long does it normally take? Any other advice/recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  S. Huband, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to assist you! If you find my response helpful, please rate it positively so that I can receive credit for my work.

Q) I am wondering about how much will a lawyer charge me to handle this matter? How long does it normally take?

In typical lawyerly fashion, I have to say that the answer is, "it depends." The biggest factor is whether or not your ex will fight you tooth and nail or whether he will simply acquiesce to your demand for additional support. Most people do not do the latter.

Modifying child support can require a lot of doing. Information has to be compiled, sorted through, and exchanged with the other side. Your lawyer or his may want a deposition or depositions (sworn testimony given to a court reporter prior to a hearing or trial) of the parties or other witnesses. The more ground work that has to go into this, the more it will cost you. If you have to have several depositions, exchange volumes of discovery information, issue subpoenas, etc., the price will be higher. If there is a trial versus a settlement, the price will be higher. The geographic area is a factor too; Miami and Orlando will be more expensive than smaller towns or more rural areas.

My guess would be somewhere in the $2,500 to $5,000 range to get started, although it would not surprise me if it wound up above $5K. Or it might be a LOT more or less, it just depends.

I would ask your friends, co-workers, neighbors etc. whose judgment you trust for referrals to family law attorneys in your area. Call or meet with several of them and see what kind of price range you're getting. If you cannot get enough referrals, call the Florida State Bar attorney referral service for help.

As for other advice, try to gather your financials and other documentation before meeting with a lawyer. The more organizing and sorting through you do yourself, the less your attorney or his paralegal will have to do. Examples include recent pay stubs, tax returns, banking statements, receipts for day care, medical, insurance costs, school fees, etc. Organize and categorize this data, so it is easy to access and look at in a glance.

I hope I've been helpful to you. If so, please click accept or rate my answer positively so that I can receive credit for my work. Thanks,
Shuband
S. Huband, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Experienced, and knowledgeable family law attorney.

I was notified that you rated the answer I gave positively, and I am very pleased and gratified that I was able to help you. I sincerely hope the matter(s) we discussed turn out well for you.

Please ask for me in the future if you have additional questions or concerns. Thank you very much for the opportunity to assist you.

Take care,
Shuband