socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

My name is Denisha and my husband just returned fro Afghanistan

Customer Question

My name is Denisha and my husband just returned fro Afghanistan last week and he has decided to file for an uncontested divorce and wants me to sign
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.

What is your question concerning your pending divorce?

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Signing uncontested am I cheating myself out of benifets allotted to me
A great deal depends on how long you were married, and what sort of lifestyle you and your husband lived while married. For example, you may have a right to a portion of your spouse's military retirement. This may be of little value today, but it could be quite valuable 30 years from now.

On the other hand, if you were only married for one or two years, the retirement value may be less than the cost of hiring a lawyer for a contested divorce. So, it's hard to say, without knowing everything about your marriage and finances.

You may want to contact a local family law attorney and see if you can get a free consult, before you make any final decisions. That is, I'll be happy to consider whatever you wish to provide here, but understand, whatever you disclose will be splashed all over the internet for the entire universe to read. So, if you value your privacy, you may want to take the specifics of your marriage to a local attorney for a private consultation.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.