Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

my 11th grade son was alleged to appear to be under the influence

Customer Question

my 11th grade son was alleged to appear to be under the influence of an unknown substance, this is the second time he's been subjected to a bodily search and vehicle search,(where nothing illegal was found on his person) however this time his car was in the repair shop and drove my vehicle where an empty pack of cigerette papers where found under the front seat, along with a few shotgun shells...the trunk was then searched and my deer skinning knife was found under a bunch of blankets. He was then turned over to juvinile officer where upon a urinalsis was preformed and was negitive. he was suspended out of school for 5 days, 15 days in-school and 15 days alturnative school. This school has had several instances of guns found in cars(during the heart of deer season) and orininally expelled them from school for a year.....then reversed their decision to the same punishment as my son....I requested a special board meeting gave evidence that we cooperated with them ,searching my sons person(2), his vehicle once and my vehicle once, took urinalsis, which was negitve and just wanted the board to reconsider their stance in this issue. The board has had several questionable punishments in the past 5 weeks....rangeing from cheerleaders supposedly drinking at a school function where they were given 7 days oss and removal of all pics in the yearboook, and then a board members daughter was caught shoplifting(over $100) worth at a school function and got 3 days oss, some parents were given an opprotunity to be heard by the board others weren' minutes from the board meeting were taken and no other communication was given them. I have just recieved a threatening letter from their lawyer telling ME to not contact any board member or discuss this matter any further with them or school officials. I want to pursue this legally now and looking for advise. THANKS!
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.

I'm trying to understand the status of the incident. Would this be a fair summary:

Your son's vehicle was searched with his consent, but nothing illegal was found -- you and he cooperated for a drug test, which turned up negative. No formal board meeting was held concerning the issue, and now the board wants to sweep it all under the rug.

Is that about correct?

Re the allegedly threatening letter, can you summarize the threat for me (e.g., "If you discuss this matter in public, we may change our mind and suspend your son." -- or something like that).

Thanks in advance.