LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

If I divorce my husband and he files for bankruptcy, do I have

If I divorce my husband and he files for bankruptcy, do I have to sell the house we own together? The house is not paid off.

Good afternoon Angela,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation.

While the lender could---in legal theory--- choose to foreclose on the property if one or more of the obligors on the mortgage loan files for bankruptcy, lenders would prefer not to foreclose on anything. So long as you continue to pay the mortgage as promised the lenders are not likely to do anything but continue to take your money.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

Until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be credited with helping you. Would you please rate me now, based on my assistance to you in understanding the law.

I wish you the best in 2012,