Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Lawyer
Experience:  Divorce, child custody, child support, etc.

What does HB 335 Domestic violence shelter mean when it is

Customer Question

What does HB 335 Domestic violence shelter mean when it is in reference to being listed on the court dockett.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

HB 335 is legislation affecting certain domestic violence statutes. You can find the entire text of HB 335 here:

Under HB 335, the domestic violence victim has a right to be represented by an advocate at any hearing, and if the victim is in the hospital, at an undisclosed shelter, or otherwise too fearful to appear at the hearing, the victim may have the advocate appear in his/her place. The reference to HB 335 may indicate that the victim does not have to appear, or it may simply indicate that the hearing is in relation to a domestic violence matter.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions, which I am happy to answer. Once you are satisfied, please kindly rate my service, as that is how I am compensated by the website. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am the plaintiff in the case and I never filed any claim for domestic violence. But in the court docket it shows that domestic violence shelter line. So I guess my question is why?
Interesting. What type of matter is this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Domestic. I filed for divorce, and when you view the case online it shows that.
Has your spouse made any motions that you are aware of, such as a motion for protective oder, etc.?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, he has not. He is the one that brought it to my attention asking why it was listed there.
I see. There are two possibilities. The first is that this is simply a clerical error on the docket, which can be quite common. Or, this may be standard protocol under your court's local rules in domestic matters to reference the act. You can contact the clerk's office to clarify, and if this is a clerical error, they can correct that for you.