LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

what rights does grandmother have in term of visitation?

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion.

Unless a grandparent applies to the court and seeks, and is awarded, an order of visitation, they do not have any right of visitation under the laws of NY or of any other state in the US.

In NY, the court may grant visitation rights to a grandparent if at least one of the child's parents is dead, or if the court finds that visitation would be in the best interests of the child.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

Until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be credited with helping you. Would you please rate me now, based on my assistance to you in understanding the law.

I wish you the best in 2012,

Doug