How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been paying child support for my son and daughter at

This answer was rated:

I have been paying child support for my son and daughter at $400.00 each per month. My son turned 23 Nov 28th, 2012. The divorce order was that I was to continue paying child support if was going to college. I have not taken the prorated stance, but continued to pay the full $400.00/mo all 12 months of the year. He is 23 now, I do not know if he finished college, is attending, and if while attending, if he was full time all of this time. I think it is time to stop since the military stops recognizing him as a dependent and he is no longer carried as my dependent for insurance reasons. Is it time to stop paying him child support?
Dear JACUSTOMER- Yes it is time to stop supporting your adult child. You need to file a motion with the court for an order to terminate child support. Your order should have had an age limit as to when the support would stop, college or no college, but it's a bit late to sue an attorney for malpractice for that omission. I know of no court that would require you to pay child support for any adult child that is 23 unless thee was an issue of physical or mental handicap. So file your motion and ask the court to order the support terminated, school or no school.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



I has suspected as much for a long time, but hope he would contact me.


Thank you. I will start the paper work.


Have a nice weekend.



You too and thanks for using our service - Dave
Dave Kennett and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions