Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand your situation and concern. Alimony may be awarded in accordance with the needs of the party seeking alimony, and the ability of the other party to pay. The following shall be considered in determining the amount of alimony, if any, to be awarded:
- The standard of living established during the marriage.
- The duration of the marriage.
- The age and the physical and emotional condition of both parties.
- The financial resources of each party.
- The time necessary for either party to acquire sufficient education or training to enable him to find appropriate employment.
- The contribution of each party to the marriage, including, but not limited to, services rendered in homemaking, child care, education, and career building of the other party.
- The condition of the parties, including the separate estate, earning capacity, and fixed liabilities of the parties.
- Such other relevant factors as the court deems equitable and proper.
[Based on Georgia Code - Sections: 19-6-1 and 19-6-5]
One of the things which the Judge is going to look at, is the length of the marriage. Seeing how it was only for a period of 9 months, the Judge may not be so inclined to order any alimony, unless she can show a basis for it. It appears as though she is looking for some type of lump sum payment, to try and punish you in some way but there may not be a basis for the Judge to award it, since you were only married for such a short period of time, unless she can show her life changed and things were given up, when she married you. Of course, you can contest it and place the burden on her, to show the things listed above. At the same time, you and her can reach a settlement, if you are comfortable with it and think it is in your best interest.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.