LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

What are Grand Parents rights? I have a daughter who is severely

Customer Question

What are Grand Parents rights? I have a daughter who is severely bi-polar who is stopping me from seeing my granddaughter. My granddaughter lives with her father in Tennessee, I live in Michigan and so does my daughter. I wanted to go see my granddaughter for one day and deliver her her Christmas presents. My daughter has contacted the father and stated that she feel I am psychotic and does not want me seeing her daughter. The father does not want any problems so he is abiding by her request. My daughter also has a son which lives here in Michigan. At the moment she has been denied visitation from CPS and I have him every other weekend. What can I do to see my Granddaughter?

Thank You
Jodie
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Jodie,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation.

Are your daughter and this father married, divorced, separated, never married?

Has this granddaughter resided with you for at least 12 months at some time?

Have you maintained a significant relationshuip with your granddaughter for at least a 12 month period---regularly seeing and speaking with her?

Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Parents are divorced, I have maintain a relationship with my granddaughter for the last 5 years, her entire life I have been there. It is just recently, because I closed my wallet to my daughter, that I have been denied a relationship. My granddaughter has never resided with me, she lives with her father.

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information Jodie.

Under Tennessee law, you are entitled to petition the court for visitation with your grandchild if you can show that the parents are divorced, or that you have had a significant relationship with her for at least 12 months. The fact that you have been allowed such a relationship up until you closed off the purse strings will probably mean that the court will rule in your favor.

You will need to file a Petition for Visitation in the count where your granddaughter resides. Once ordered though, the visitation order will be effective until she is a grown adult, or until changed by the court---so you only need do this once. I urge you to have a family law attorney in the area there assist you in this matter, as they will best be able to see that your wishes, and the necessary showing is made to the court.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time in assisting you
. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and contact me with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to address your concerns to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2012,

Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

With the grandchildren residing in two separate states, even though the father of my grandson allows me visitation here in Michigan, should I file in both states? What exactly do I file and how do I contact a lawyer in Tennessee?

Thank You

Jodie

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jodie,

You only need to file a petition for the grandchild that you are NOT being allowed to see---the one in TN.

You file a Petition for Visitation. It is unlikely that you are able to do this on your own---especially as you reside in another state. You will need a Family Law attorney to help you. That attorney will need to practice in TN--preferably in the same county as the granddaughter lives in.

If you will tell me the name of the city in TN she resides in, I can get you a list of Family Law attorneys in that area whom you can call for help.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

Until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be credited with helping you. Would you please rate me now, based on my assistance to you in understanding the law.

I wish you the best in 2012,

Doug
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience: 30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Clarksville, TN

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Here you go Jodie---the list of Family Law attorneys in the Clarksville, TN area: http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/lawyer_dir/search/jsp/stdSearch_process.jsp?stype=BY_ADDR_OR_ZIP&keyword=family+law&location=clarksville%2C+tn&target=FIRM&language=Select+a+language&submit=Find+lawyers

I wish you the best in 2012,

Doug