Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

I live in NH. When I married 7 years ago, I had a 401K/403B

I live in NH. When I married 7 years ago, I had a 401K/403B worth 150,000. It is now worth 300,000. If I were divorce, would I have to give my husband half of this? Or, would it be only on the gain? Or none at all.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

In New Hampshire, unlike most states, the law presumes that all of the spouse's assets, are marital assets be divided equally. However the court will consider arguments regarding whether an unequal distribution would be more fair. One of the factors the court would consider is the fact that you came into the marriage with the 401(k)

Thank you for your business.

The site will be sending you a survey. The results of the survey are essential to my employment.

You will be asked in question #3 of the survey: "3. How likely is it that you would recommend your Expert to a friend?"

I would greatly appreciate it if you would answer "10". If for any reason you cannot answer "10" in response to question number 3, please tell me how I may further assist you.

As always, I am here to address follow-up questions at no additional charge.