Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

In the state of illinois is it legal for a 17 year old to date

In the state of illinois is it legal for a 17 year old to date a 27 year old? If it is legal or illegal can you guide me to where i can print this out to show it to my daughter or her mother so I may end this fight.
Under IL law, while the age of consent is 17. IL Statute 720 ILCS 5/12-15 states:

(c) The accused commits criminal sexual abuse if he or she commits an act of sexual penetration or sexual conduct with a victim who was at least 13 years of age but under 17 years of age and the accused was less than 5 years older than the victim.

Some websites claim the age for sexual abuse is a person under 18, but the law is as quoted above and specifically says 17.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is the same information I have found and do not understand that is why I put in the ages. Since he is over 5 years older than her is it illegal or does the age of consent trump the 5 years...what does the 5 years age difference mean?

If the victim is UNDER 17, then the age difference cannot be more than 5 years than her. But since she is 17 there is no age difference and it is not a violation of the IL law.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much sir! you have more than satisfied me with your answer....however i was hoping you would have said i could press charges against him. Thank you.

I know you were hoping otherwise and as a father who has a daughter I agree with you 100%, but our legislators in many states do not seem to agree with us. Thank you and please do not forget to click on excellent service feedback so that I receive credit for assisting you.