Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Which documents are needed to process a divorce in Texas? What

Which documents are needed to process a divorce in Texas? What do I need to show that I am entitled to half of the estate. The marriage lasted 17 years. How far back in time do I have to go ? I have never worked. We have a home which was purchased during our marriage and we have bank accounts. He is retired and has a pension. I receive social security and we have no children together.
You would need to file a petition for divorce with your allegations regarding the marriage and divorce. Together with the petition for divorce you would file a community property statement with all of the community property assets and debts listed on there. You would also file a proposed community property settlement dividing the community property assets. The property accumulated during the entire course of the marriage is considered community property. His pension would be considered community property to the extent he paid into it during the course of the marriage. The house is considered community property along with all of the bank accounts established during the marriage If you are not working, you could also be entitled to spousal support as well, depending on your needs and his ability to pay. You merely need to show the length of the marriage and when all of the assets and debts were acquired to show they are community property which will be divided 50-50

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”