Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney

I have 17 month old daughter her father is in and out of her

I have 17 month old daughter her father is in and out of her life. He pays child support when he wants too and comes up when he wants. When hunting season comes he isnt around. He tells me he wants to give up rights and than the next day he doesn't his exroomate that lived with him for about a year said he doesnt take showers or cleans anything and has a horrible temper. I am getting married in two months and comes over 3 times a week to see both my daughter and I. He always gives my daughter a hug before me and he wants to adopt her immediately after getting married. What steps do i have to take and what requirements do i have to do?
Dear JACUSTOMER - You will need to either get permission from the biological father and have him sign a release of parental rights or you will have to file a motion with the family law court to order that the father's rights be terminated. If he is violating a court order for support you can file a motion for contempt to try to get him to give up his parental rights in order to avoid support. The only way he can get out of paying support is for another man to adopt his child. If he is a bad father I would think that not being ordered to pay support would be a great incentive to give up his rights to a caring and loving adoptive father.