JPEsq., Lawyer
Experience:  Published articles on family law, featured in several publications for successful trial work.

complicated situation: my sons girlfriend of two years has

complicated situation: my son's girlfriend of two years has been living with him. they have a daughter together. his girlfriend has a daughter from a previous relationship. the father of the daughter has not seen her in over two and a half years and has child support garnished. he recently contacted my son's girlfriend saying he cannot live on what he makes. he said he will do anything to have the child support stopped. he will sign over his rights to his daughter if necessary. can that be done? how if possible? this is the st. louis area of missouri.
Yes, it can be done. Your son would have to adopt the child, which would make the child his child in the same way his daughter is his. It is not terribly complicated, but something that will definitely require a lawyer.

Basically, your son would file a Petition to Adopt and have the biological father sign a consent to adoption form. Then a home study would be done by an agency and a hearing held to finalize the adoption. The whole thing will probably take about 6 months in most cases.

If the adoption is approved, your son will be the father of the child, and the biological father's rights and responsibilities will be terminated forever.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is that the only way? it sounds like you are saying he cannot give up fatherhood unless there is a father to takes his place.

That is correct. There is no way to voluntarily give up parental rights and responsibilities. There are only two ways it can happen: 1) adoption; 2) Termination by child services due to parental unfitness- and you cannot volunteer for that.