How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9311
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am retired military 26yrs/3days; I joined 05/28/1986 and

This answer was rated:

I am retired military 26yrs/3days; I joined 05/28/1986 and retired 5/31/2012; I married 4/15/2002 and moved out (in lieu of legal separation), 10/20/2012.

We have reached point of irreconcilable differences, however we are trying to remain amicable through the process.

We have 1 kid between us, and a home.

I want to file for divorce immediately but she wants to separate - draw it out purposely to her benefit - what should I do?
Did the lawyer quote that as a flat fee, or is that to be a retainer against future fees and costs?

Did the lawyer offer you a written fee agreement?

Do you and your spouse both live in the same County?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

retainer fee





A written fee agreement is preferable but not required, see

There is an overview of the Washington State divorce laws posted here.

I do not see any reason not to file if that is what you have decided to do, but you may want to shop around until you find a lawyer you feel comfortable with.

You can get a free consultation from some of the divorce lawyers listed by location at

The least expensive way for the parties to resolve these cases is to reach an agreement on all the issues, or at least on as many of the issues as can be resolved by agreement. If they cannot agree, sometimes a mediator can help them.

A negotiated resolution is almost always preferable to a coerced resolution, which is what you will get if you let a Judge decide the issues.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for accepting my answer.