How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37416
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I have a question on divorce I filed for divorce in Texas

Resolved Question:

Hello I have a question on divorce I filed for divorce in Texas my ex wife lives in Missouri. She signed all the papers she needed to sign. My problem was that I didn't put the child support form in due to I already have support being taken out from both Texas and Missouri for the one kid we own nothing together have nothing to split. But the court kicked it back and said I need something from child support before I can get it done. What can I do about that and also my child support over ways my living I don't make enough to survive how may I get my order I never went to court for evaluated. Thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.

Please provide me with a link to copies of the forms that you tried to file with the court (scan the forms into a pdf file and upload them to, and provide a link to the forms in your next Reply).

If you can't do this, then let me know where you obtained the forms that you used to file for divorce. If it was from the internet, then please provide me with a link to the form blanks.

Thanks in advance.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

Customer: replied 3 years ago. this the site I used to get my paper work for my divorce
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.
There's no way to read the forms from that website, and I've never reviewed them, so I can't comment intelligently.

What exactly did the court tell you that it required (word for word)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They just told that they couldn't give legal advise but that everything was good on my paperwork for divorce but the child support portion and that I needed to show that I am paying child support and it is an order in place but I am not sure do I just give them something from the attorney general showin my case and amount or do I need a form like the rest of the divorce paperwork showin them my case and its amounts on it and after I get that part done she was like that should be it. I never went before a judge a legal person met me in the hallway got my paperwork and took it to the judge and I waited in the hall an then that's when she came back stating that I needed something from child support but never told me exactly what is needed to finish it. I felt me getting married in April of 06 and we was separated a few weeks later before June 06 that it should be an issue we both signed the papers and agreed to the terms since I already had a child support case established before I filed for divorce that they shouldn't need it. What do u think I need to do?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I think I've got a plan that may work.

In your final decree of divorce that you submit to the court for the judge's signature, you need a section that says something like this:

  • The Court finds that the Husband and Wife are the parents of a minor child, [child's name], a [male/female], born [date of birth], who currently resides with Wife in [name of County] County, [name of State]. The Court finds that a final court order for support of the children was made in [name of county] County, [name of state], in Cause # [Cause #], [Name of County; Name of State]. The court that made the order has continuing, exclusive jurisdiction of the children. No changes are made to the order in this Decree. A copy of the order is attached to this Decree, as Exhibit [Exhibit #], and is made a part of this Decree for all purposes, as provided for by Texas Family Code, Section 6.407.

Notes: The above text explains the court's legal basis for not ruling on the current child support orders. Since I can't see the forms that you have, I don't know where it will fit, but, if you cannot find space to write everything above into the decree, you can add something short like: "Child Support is addressed in Exhibit [Exhibit #], hereby attached and incorporated herein." Then, you add a separate page for the child support language, and attach the copy of the current support order to the separate page.

Concerning a modification of your current child support, there is no way to address that in this sort of uncontested divorce action. You will have to ask the TX Attorney General to review your current support and modify it, or you will need to bring a separate child support modification request to the court after your divorce is final.

You could have dealt with the child support issue in your divorce, but the paperwork would have been different, and there's just no way for me to tell you how to work around your circumstance. I'm making educated guesses as it is, to try to bandaid what you already have.

If this works, then you're welcome to come back here and I'll try to help you with a separate support modification.

In closing, here is a link to finding a local legal aid attorney. If you can find someone to actually review your documents before you submit them to the court again, that would be ideal.

Hope this helps.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37416
Experience: Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and 10 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including family law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: