Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I filed for divorce from my husband, we each signed a property

I filed for divorce from my husband, we each signed a property settlement, but then never finalized the divorce. The court deadline date has passed. Does this property settlement still stand, even though though we never followed through with the divorce? If I refile for divorce, can the property settlement be renegotiated? It would be to my benefit if the original property settlement was dismissed.
If the divorce has been dismissed then anything agreed upon in that divorce would be now void. If you refile for the divorce, you would be able to renegotiate the community property settlement as part of the new divorce proceeding. SInce the settlement was prepared in contemplation of the divorce and as part of the divorce pleading that is now dismissed you have to start the entire process including the settlement all over again.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thanks for the answer. I know that family law varies from state to state. Can you consult an attorney that knows Louisiana very well for me?
Actually, you happen to have gotten the only Louisiana licensed attorney on this site, the sole one. I practice in several states, but Louisiana is one of them and I practice out of New Orleans.