Meigs
Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.
22589080

If I filed to reduce the child support I pay and my exs lawyer

If I filed to reduce the child support I pay and my ex's lawyer want to change the date will my redution start the day we go to court or the day that I filed?

meigs004 :

Hello how are you today?

meigs004 :

What do you mean by change the date?

Customer:

I'm fine and you

meigs004 :

Doing well, thanks for asking.

meigs004 :

Change the date of what exactly?

Customer:

I filed a motion to reduce the support I pay, and got a court date of Nov 8 and my ex's lawyer wants to change that court date

meigs004 :

Oh, ok I understand. No, it will not change that date. Usually, you can seek retroactive support back to the actual day that you filed your petition to reduce child support. So the day that it is actually decided does not change.

meigs004 :

However, you can not start paying a reduced amount until the case is over and the child support order modified.

Customer:

Do I ask that to the judge or will he odamadicly ruduce it from when I filed the modification

meigs004 :

You will need to show the court at the hearing how your financial circumstances have changed, and show proof of income to show that. After which, if the judge determines that you have had a substantial change in circumstances to warrant a modification, the judge will modify the child support order.

Customer:

Yes but will it be from that day in court or from when I filed the modification

meigs004 :

It can be from the date you filed, if you request it, plus you can seek reimbursement for your "overpayment".

meigs004 :

Does this answer your question?

Customer:

ok so I request it the day I go to court

meigs004 :

Yes. If it is not in your petition.

meigs004 :

If this does answer your question, please remember that I do not receive wages or a salary from this site, and the only way to be credited for our time together is for you to provide a positive rating.

Customer:

I just ask the Judge or do I have to file something

meigs004 :

For what?

Customer:

to go back to the date Ifile the modification

meigs004 :

You can ask the judge at the hearing.

Customer:

Thank you very much and I will give you a great report

meigs004 :

Thanks!

meigs004 :

Good Luck!