Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
3396227

Ok..we are going to pre trial tomorrow...my atty wants to do

Ok..we are going to pre trial tomorrow...my atty wants to do a supplemental thingy to get divorce done quick..we have been seperated for a year... i asked that my maiden name be restored and my childs last name be changed to my surname... he said the court has no authority in this case to address this issue... REALLY?! how do i get it changed then?"
DearCustomer- the court has no authority to change your child's name without the consent of the father so you will have to apply to the probate court in your county for a name change for yourself but the child's name will remain the same. Many divorce judges will change a woman's name back to her maiden name but it would be up to the judge. The child's name is XXXXX XXXXX issue and that can only be changed with the consent of the father. Once the divorce is final you can file a petition with the probate court to have your name changed if you wish.