Meigs
Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.
22589080

how can i change the Jurisdiction from Fl to NY? how do i prevent

how can i change the Jurisdiction from Fl to NY? how do i prevent the non custodial parent to take the kids out of the country?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Meigs replied 2 years ago.

meigs004 :

Hello, how are you today?

meigs004 :

Is there a custody action on going?

Customer:

I'm fine thank you.

Customer:

my divorce was finalize three years ago

Customer:

i currently live in ny (3 yrs) the ex is in florida

meigs004 :

Are you seeking a change in custody?

Customer:

i want to change it to NY, I currently have full custody. I don't want to travel to florida for court. want to change Jurisdiction

meigs004 :

Change jurisdiction of what exactly?

meigs004 :

Sorry I am trying to gather exactly what you are asking.

Customer:

child support anything that has to do with the children

Customer:

he wants to take them out of the country which i do not my daughter has autism

Customer:

i want the courts in ny to hear anything that may occur with my children

meigs004 :

Ok, thank you. In order to transfer a case there will have to be something that you are filing. You would simply at this point, considering how long you have lived in NY, just file the action there, and ask the court in your action to adopt jurisdiction of that action. Does the ex-husband have any contacts with NY?

Customer:

no. he see the kids maybe once a year...calls every 2-3 weeks can i file something for him to not take the kids out of the country

meigs004 :

Has he just told you that he is taking them out of the country?

Customer:

so i would have to file a petition for child support to be in NY i have lived here 3 years

meigs004 :

Yes, you would at this point.

Customer:

yes, last year and i told him no he has for the pass two days told the children that during the summer he was taking them to dominican republic he has not asked me but has told the children my children do not have passports and i am afraid that he has fraudlant obtained them

meigs004 :

I understand, well it would be a federal offense to fraudulently obtain passports, and as you seem to know, the children can not acquire a passport without both parents signatures.

meigs004 :

So the answer to your question, is you can ask the court to adopt the case from Florida, if and when you file.

Customer:

ok thank you

meigs004 :

And he better not attempt to fraudulently obtain passports, because that is a federal offense, and the feds do not play around.

meigs004 :

You are welcome. Please provide a positive rating before exiting the chat.

meigs004 :

Does this answer your questions?

meigs004 :

If so please do not forget to provide a positive rating prior to leaving, otherwise I can not be credited.

Customer:

yes, i believe so. i will try to go to the local court and see what i can do. thank you.

Customer:

.

Meigs, Family Law Attorney
Experience: I am well equipped to handle any family law problem you might have.