JackJD, Lawyer
Experience:  I've been in practice for 30+ years, concentrating in family and employment law. I enjoy helping people.

My question is, if an unmarried couple are having a custody

My question is, if an unmarried couple are having a custody case and a psychological evaluation is required through the court is it allowable for one party to use another persons email address to receive information from the other party. My daughter and her boyfriend are having a court appointed psychologist evaluate them both to determine who is best suited to have custody. The psychologist uses email for all parties to communicate. My daughter is required to send emails to all parties involved, his lawyer, her boyfriend, and psychologist. Her boyfriend is using his current girlfriends email, which gives her access to anything my daughter sends via email. She is not involved in this case. is this allowable for her to be able to have access to information that has nothing to do with her.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JackJD replied 3 years ago.

JackJD :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll answer your question.

If that's the email address that the boyfriend has designated to use in the case, then that is the correct email to use.

As for your concern that the boyfriend is letting the current girlfriend have access to all communication from the daughter, I see that as the equivalent of the boyfriend getting the email first, and then showing it to his current girlfriend. This he's entitled to do.

I think it's a different matter, that, even if he has that right, he is showing bad judgment in involving this current girlfriend in his issues around the child. The judge should certainly hear about that, probably from the psychologist. It shows his bad judgment, even though its his right to share this information.

Have I answered your question fully, or do you have a follow up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am concerned that this girlfriend has first access to these emails. She then has the opportunity to not let the boyfriend know about the email and delete it and never tell him he got an email.
Expert:  JackJD replied 3 years ago.
Your concern is legitimate, but I still see it as his choice ... he will be responsible for the "deleted" email, even if in fact he never sees it.