xavierjd
xavierjd, Lawyer
Experience:  20 yrs exp. in divorce, custody, visitation & support .
14261217

can you marry your first cousin in perth

Category: Family Law
Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Pearl.com It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Are you asking about Perth, Australia? Or, a city named Perth in the U.S.?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

perth australia

Expert:  xavierjd replied 1 year ago.
The answer, believe it or not, is "yes."

The Australian law on consanguinity allows marriage between cousins, an uncle and niece, or an aunt and nephew. Unions that are illegal in Australia include those between closely related family members such as siblings, half-siblings, or grandparents and grandchildren. This law also includes adoptees, despite the fact they don’t have blood relations within their adopted families.

However, related parents are more likely than unrelated parents to have children with health problems or genetic disorders. This is because the two parents share one or more common ancestors and so carry some of the same genetic material. If both partners carry the same inherited altered (mutated) gene, their offspring are more likely to have a genetic disorder.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Reply tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks

xavierjd, Lawyer
Experience: 20 yrs exp. in divorce, custody, visitation & support .