max713, Lawyer
Experience:  I am responsive, respectful, and relentless.

my 14 year old granddaughter has decided she wants to live

my 14 year old granddaughter has decided she wants to live with her dad, what steps does he need to take to get custody of her, he is still having to pay child support to the mother and the child has been living with him for 6 months,

max713 :

Hi, I'm trained and experienced in family law, and I would love to help you through your current situation. Is there an existing custody order? I assume he is the presumed father (on either the birth certificate or voluntary acknowledgement, since he pays child support). If he is, and there is an outstanding order, he can petition for a changed order on the basis that circumstances have changed significantly (assuming they in fact have). Otherwise, if there is currently no custody order, he can petition for a custody order to determine his custodial rights.

max713 :

Remember, this is legal information only. It is not advice.

max713 :

Does that make sense?

is there an age that the child can live where she wants and the father stops child support?

max713 :

Through emancipation at 18, marriage, joining armed forces, or court order for emancipation. Otherwise, the child cannot unilaterally decide (though the child's decision is given more weight the older he or she is).