max713
max713, Lawyer
Experience:  I am responsive, respectful, and relentless.
68040893

Good Morning, My wife and i are getting a devorce we live in

Good Morning, My wife and i are getting a devorce we live in the Memphis tn area. She is living with her male friend , and they both are known drug users , We have Two children and they live with me , I want custody of them there 16 and 12 what do i have to do ? my money is very tight and hard too come by . please help
Category: Family Law
Expert:  max713 replied 1 year ago.

max713 :

Hi, I'm trained and experienced in family law, and I would love to help you through your current situation. Part of the divorce will be determination of custody when the divorced parties have children. The court will typically prefer joint custody even in the messiest of situations. Sometimes, if one parent is abusive, abandoned the children, or is unable to care for them, the other parent will be awarded sole custody. In consideration of awarding child custody pursuant to a divorce, a court considers 10 factors in deciding what would be in the best interests of the children. This is governed by 36-6-106: "

(1) The love, affection and emotional ties existing between the parents or caregivers and the child;

(2) The disposition of the parents or caregivers to provide the child with food, clothing, medical care, education and other necessary care and the degree to which a parent or caregiver has been the primary caregiver;

(3) The importance of continuity in the child's life and the length of time the child has lived in a stable, satisfactory environment; provided, that, where there is a finding, under subdivision (a)(8), of child abuse, as defined in § 39-15-401 or § 39-15-402, or child sexual abuse, as defined in § 37-1-602, by one (1) parent, and that a nonperpetrating parent or caregiver has relocated in order to flee the perpetrating parent, that the relocation shall not weigh against an award of custody;

(4) The stability of the family unit of the parents or caregivers;

(5) The mental and physical health of the parents or caregivers;

(6) The home, school and community record of the child;

(7) (A) The reasonable preference of the child, if twelve (12) years of age or older;

(B) The court may hear the preference of a younger child on request. The preferences of older children should normally be given greater weight than those of younger children;

(8) Evidence of physical or emotional abuse to the child, to the other parent or to any other person; provided, that, where there are allegations that one (1) parent has committed child abuse, as defined in § 39-15-401 or § 39-15-402, or child sexual abuse, as defined in § 37-1-602, against a family member, the court shall consider all evidence relevant to the physical and emotional safety of the child, and determine, by a clear preponderance of the evidence, whether such abuse has occurred. The court shall include in its decision a written finding of all evidence, and all findings of facts connected to the evidence. In addition, the court shall, where appropriate, refer any issues of abuse to the juvenile court for further proceedings;

(9) The character and behavior of any other person who resides in or frequents the home of a parent or caregiver and the person's interactions with the child; and

(10) Each parent's or caregiver's past and potential for future performance of parenting responsibilities, including the willingness and ability of each of the parents and caregivers to facilitate and encourage a close and continuing parent-child relationship between the child and both of the child's parents, consistent with the best interest of the child."

max713 :

This is modifiable later if there is a substantial change in circumstances.

max713 :

Remember, this is legal information only; it is not advice.

max713 :

Does that make sense?

max713 :

Please respond with any questions you might have. I'm here to serve you.

max713, Lawyer
Experience: I am responsive, respectful, and relentless.