Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am a single father who has a child custody court hearing

Customer Question

I am a single father who has a child custody court hearing in the morning. I have a lot of anxiety about this and don't know what to expect nor how I can prepare myself for this. I live in California and currently have joint legal and joint physical custody of my two daughters. I had to file a modification to change the visitation days and times that were listed on our original judgement, because my work schedule does not allow me to take care of the girls during those times. I have tried to work it out with their mother, but she has not been cooperative with me. I am trying to co-parent with her and I want more involved in my daughters lives, but their mother is not allowing that. In fact, I feel as though she and her new husband are trying to push me away and cutting my visitation time to only having my daughters over the weekend (from Saturday at 5pm to Sunday at 7:30pm). They used to live about 10-15 miles away from me, but has recently moved about 30 miles away from me now. Can anyone help me prep me for tomorrow and give me advice as to what I should say in court, especially how to word my opening statement? Any/all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.

I am sorry to hear that you are so worried over your upcoming hearing. While I can potentially assist you with some general information, I cannot provide you with 'legal advice' since that would violate site rules. Please let me know if that suffices, I can provide you with certain general outlines depending on your need for your statements, but I cannot advise you directly. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Mr Esquire. I see that you are licensed in PA & NJ. How familiar are you with the family law codes in the state of CA? Or all family law codes the same regardless of the state?
Thank you for your follow-up.

That is a good and fair questions. The laws themselves do differ to a certain extent from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. There are different conditions pertaining to how child support is calculated, or which factors for custody are given greater weight, but the general guidelines are fairly similar from court to court. I have assisted individuals in CA family courts in the past, so I am familiar with their procedures, especially after significant research on my end. Does that satisfy or do you seek a different professional?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. If you could please then provide me with an outline of what/how I should present my case to the court. I'd also appreciate any type of reference(s) in the family law code(s) that pertain to my situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time, a response is no longer needed.