How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am raising my 1 yo granddaughter for the last 10 months.

This answer was rated:

I am raising my 1 yo granddaughter for the last 10 months. mom has a mental illness and was not taking care of her. the baby has never bonded with mom and runs from her when she calls her. Mom wants to take the baby out of my home and move in with her boyfriend(not the baby's dad) she has never taken any interest in the baby until 2 weeks a go when the boyfriend said she has to bring the baby with her when she moves in with him. I am at my wits end and afraid that something bad will happen to my granddaughter. Mom has quit taking her medication cause boyfriend says she does not need them. do I or is there anything I can do? I live in Ohio
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to attempt to assist you this evening.

If I may ask, do you have formal rights to the child? By that I mean do you have a guardianship decree? Or were you caring for the child informally?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

all I have are POA papers that mom and dad signed and we had them notorized

Thank you for your follow-up.

Not a problem, and I happen to somewhat disagree with your attorney's opinion. While it is true that you generally have to have a signature to do anything, since you have been the de facto caretaker for a year, you personally can go to court, even tomorrow, and file an emergency petition for emergency sole guardianship, based on your current bond with the child, and the complete unfitness of your daughter. If the judge grants such an order, you would no longer have to give the child over to the mother, and would instead have to later on go to court so as to establish permanent guardianship. But if you do not obtain custodial rights, then I am afraid that her rights as a mother would trump you rights, and you would have to provide her with the child, even over your own objections.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do I go to the juvenile court in my county and file this and is there some place I can download a copy of emergency petition?


Thank you for your follow-up.

That is correct, you go to the family court in your county. The county clerk should have a copy of this petition for you to fill out and file. If they do not have a copy, such courts have a law library attached to the courthouse, and a template could be obtained there from the law librarian. Each court system has their own version of this form so it generally does not exist online, but you should be able to get it from the clerk--you can do a search online for their county website, as they may have it there for download also.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THANK YOU so very much This has been so helpful. To the courthouse I go first thing in the morning and again THANK YOU

You are most welcome, truly! I wish you the best of luck, and just remember to stress that you have a bond with the child, you raised the child yourself, and the other parent has been completely absent from her life.

Good luck and kindly do not forget to rate my answer to you as otherwise I cannot obtain credit for my work. Thank you!

Dimitry K., Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions