Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.

In Pennsylvania, when does a divorce become final? Is it when

In Pennsylvania, when does a divorce become final? Is it when the Judge issues a divorce decree saying the marriage is abolished? Or is it 30 days from the time that such a divorce decree is issued?

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

The marriage is technically final upon issuance of the Order. However, if an appeal is filed, the carrying out of the order is postponed or "stayed" until the appeal can be effectuated. If no appeal is filed, the marriage has been final since the day the Order was issued.

SoloLawyer :

If I can answer anything further, let me know. Remember, I'm here to help and your satisfaction is guaranteed. If you don't have any questions and you valued my time, I'd ask you to consider rating me positively.

Take care,

So if an appeal if filed withing the 30 day time-frame after the divorce decree is issued, does that mean the couple isn't technically divorced yet?

SoloLawyer :

Yes, that is what it means.

Ok, thank you for your help. That's what I needed to know.