AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.

I live in DE. Are there requirements that my boyfriend (who

I live in DE. Are there requirements that my boyfriend (who is from Europe) and I must get married in DE? Many people we have known got married in Las Vegas, we do not want to do this, but would like to get married in Maryland. Please advise if this should be acceptable.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your inquiry! I have been practicing Traffic law for 17+ years and have specific experience with issues like yours. My name isXXXXX and I have been a stage 4 (highest) professional lawyer with the Company for nearly 4 years, and enjoy giving top notch answers to all of my customers. While I am unable to represent you or give you specific legal advise, I can provide you with legal information you may wish to consider and review so that when you do consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction, you have a basis of knowledge.

Please DO remember to only rate my answer when you are quite satisfied with my diligence and effort in accordance with your chosen transaction. I aim to provide EXCELLENT SERVICE. Until then, please stop and REPLY to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the question concern you may still have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. AND, WHEN YOU DO RATE ME POSITIVELY, PLEASE SEND ME A REPLY LETTING ME KNOW YOU ARE DOING SO, SO WE CAN ENSURE IT GETS RECORDED. THANKS!

That being said, with regard to your post:

You can get married in MD, no problem. Bring ID, drivers license and birth certificate to the town office that issues the license to get married. You need NOT be a resident of MD. However, you must be married in the county where you purchased your license, so remember that. Contact the county of your choice to see if they require both of you be present to apply for the license. If either of you were previously married and divroce, Maryland requires that you show your divorce decree, or have information regarding date, county and state, etc. There is a waiting period of 48 hours in Maryland to get married once you HAVE that license. Bring some cash to pay for the application, should be no more than $100, and likely less.

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.

-------

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know and we can interact further. Otherwise, I wish you the best and ask that you Rate me now. HINT: I aim to provide only EXCELLENT SERVICE and ask that you click a rating on the RIGHT side of the choices OR, follow up with me if you need more follow up or clarification. AND, WHEN YOU DO RATE ME POSITIVELY, PLEASE SEND ME A REPLY LETTING ME KNOW YOU ARE DOING SO, SO WE CAN ENSURE IT GETS RECORDED. THANKS!

You can ask for me directly in the future by starting your post with "To Alexia Esq." Or bookmark this page, and go to: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-AlexiaEsq/

Repeat reminder: Due to rules of our states, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information in order that you may have a starting point for helping yourself and presenting your issue to your lawyer if need be. I am an Attorney in the U.S. but I am not your attorney.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was previously married, and I believe I have to bring copies of marriage/divorce certificates. In the event of divorce, about 26 years ago, we were divorced in FL. How do I get a copy of what is needed to get married in Maryland?, is it a divorce certificate, and where/whom do I contact to get that information, since it was so long ago?
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and thank you for your follow up:

I was previously married, and I believe I have to bring copies of marriage/divorce certificates. Yes, as noted above, you want to make sure you have all that info.

In the event of divorce, about 26 years ago, we were divorced in FL. How do I get a copy of what is needed to get married in Maryland?, is it a divorce certificate,You can go to the court that issued the decree. You may also be able to get the information from FL vital statistics. You may want to call the county thay you decide you want to marry in to see if they need to see a cert. or if just bring the data with you is enough.

and where/whom do I contact to get that information, since it was so long ago? See above. Courthouse or vital statistics.

Congratulations on your remarriage! Very exciting :)

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.

-------

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. Since my fionce is European, we wanted to make sure we are ok to marry in a state outside of our residence. Either MD or VA.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would VA also have the same criteria as MD?
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

VA is a different legal question, actually, but as a courtesy, I will get that for you. In the future please remember to put new inquiries into new posts (avoids me getting into trouble). Thanks for understanding. I will be back as soon as I can with that info.

Sincerely,
Alexia Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh OK, I didn't realize, thank you for your assistance.
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem at all, and it happens a lot.

OK, VA is even better, no residency required and NO 48 hour wait. No wait at all. And, you can go to any circuit court to get the license. You have a full 60 days that license is good for, which is nice - no need to totally rush.

Happy nuptials!
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience: 19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX it all. Makes it so much easier to decide now:)
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure, have a great wedding :)
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney