Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
18210975

Non-custodial parent (NCP) has requested social security numbers

Non-custodial parent (NCP) has requested social security numbers for two children that live in Texas. NCP has been told by child support office that that information is protected. They refused to give out that information. NCP has no rights to that information according to them. NCP has tried different avenues to retrieve that information. NCP requested the information so to obtain benefits for the children. What are his options?

SoloLawyer :

Hello - Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your family law problem today.

SoloLawyer :

I'm sorry to hear about the NCP's situation. The office is correct that the information is protected and that they do not have the right to give it out to anyone. However, the CP should have a duty to supply that information as it is needed by the NCP. The NCP should request the information through the CP's attorney. If it is not provided after a reasonable time period, the NCP may have to file something in the court do have a Judge rule that it must be provided.

Customer:

ok...what is the NCP rights to information on his children

Customer:

but how would the NCP get the information for CP if the OAG (office of the attorney general) won't release it? They even said that if we sent a letter to that office, they would not pass it along to the CP. We have the birth certificates for both children and still cannot get any information.

SoloLawyer :

The custodial parent doesn't haven their children's social security numbers?

Customer:

CP probably has the numbers...but we have no way to get the information on the CP so we can contact her directly to request that information.

SoloLawyer :

I understand. Unfortunately, no one has the right to give you the numbers but the CP. The NCP can 1) contact the CP directly or 2) File in the Court to force the CP to release them.

Customer:

OK... Thank You!!