JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

I recently gave up my home to move in with my fiance who had

Customer Question

I recently gave up my home to move in with my fiance who had purchase a home in 2008. we got engaged in feb 2010. I move in in april 2010. We discuss buying another property and we did in June 2010 but it is in his name only. we got married in feb 2011 but before we got married he refiance the home he brought in 2008 the same month we got married. Do I have any rights to any one of the homes or both.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 4 years ago.
No, unfortunately not.

Unless your name is on a deed to have any interest in a property it would have to be purchased during the marriage which would then make it community property. Since both these houses were purchased prior to the marriage and your name is not on either deed then they are is separate property.

I'm sorry, I wish I had better news for you but the LA law on this point is clear.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask but please do so my clicking on the Reply to Expert tab.

We work for Positive Ratings, please click on one of the top three ratings or one of the Smile Faces, as this would be appreciated. We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional, and not necessarily whether you like the information that you are receiving. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

PLEASE DO NOT use the rating system to ask for more information or in an attempt to tell the website that you didn’t like the substance of the answer as it gives a NEGATIVE rating to me personally if your rating is one of the lower two.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.