Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

Customer Question

If my current fiancee has a family plan with her ex husband for their son... and she wants to move to fort BRagg NC where i am stationed... also her and i have a 5 month old daughter together.... is there any way the she could possibly lose custody??
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated 3 or higher. If for any reason you feel that a low rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" tab.

There may be a slight delay in response time, as I may be helping with other questions or I may be away from the computer. I will answer any follow-up questions as soon I can.

It is possible, yes, if the father objects to the move. Whether it's likely depends on the specific facts of your situation. Essentially, she would have to seek permission for the move, and then establish to the judge that it's in the best interests of the child to move with her. That will involve talking about her role as the primary caregiver, the importance of building a relationship with the child's sister, the relationship that the child has with each of you, and all of the factors that were discussed when she initially got custody. If she has a plan for when she arrives, such as a place to live, a job lined up, and a support system (including you), that all weighs in her favor.

She also may be required to pay the costs associated with the child traveling to spend time with the father, since she is the one that is making it more expensive.

Please rate my service before signing out, as this is the only way that I get credit for the time I spend helping you. I hope that you are 100% satisfied - if not, please click "reply" so that we may continue the conversation. Good luck.
I was polite and respectful, and I answered your question thoroughly. Please elaborate on how you feel that constitutes poor service, keeping in mind that I can only answer the question that you ask, which was extremely vague and general. I cannot change the law to suit you.