Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.

My custody agreement with my ex wife calls for 50/50 custody.

My custody agreement with my ex wife calls for 50/50 custody. A year and a half ago, at her urging, my two kids started living with me full time. I left the child support alone and continued to pay her. Six months ago, I had the opportunity to move for a great job. She openly agreed to me to take the girls. TOday I received a statement of arears from the state of Florida. What should I do?

Thank you for your question.

What you should do is have your ex-spouse contact the agency on your behalf and inform them that any potential arrears have been covered by your outside payments to the ex directly. If the ex is unwilling to do so (sounds unlikely as it appears that you have a more or less amicable relationship), then you may want to consider filing a petition for modification of custody and support in your favor, as that can also wipe out the arrears, and make your ex be responsible to you for paying for support while the children are with you.

Good luck.