Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If im not awarded joint custody (my daughter is 17), will

If i'm not awarded joint custody (my daughter is 17), will I have to pay child support and back child support for the 2 years my wife kept her away from me.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Ely. I am here to help you. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a reply. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not to tell you what you necessarily wish to hear.

I am very sorry for your situation. Retroactive or "back" support can be ordered for the last two years before the custody battle began. So she has the right to request child support retroactively, but only for 2 years. P.Y.W. vs. G.U.W.,(NNN) NNN-NNNN(2002 to 2003); Section 30-3-110 et seq.

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes people have limited avenues to seek relief. Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because I do not get credit unless you press one of the top three faces, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

IMPORTANT INFO: I hope this finds you well. Please use REPLY TO EXPERT to keep talking, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then SUBMIT, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what are my remedies? since the child was taken out of the household willfully, and not allowed visitation, can I claim abandonment? or anything?

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Well, this depends on what you are trying to do. What are you trying to achieve here? Do you want:

1 - custody?
2 - relief from child support even if you do not get custody?
3 - something else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

custody, first, then relief from child support if that fails. i mean that would be like insult upon injury.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - apologies for the wait, I am working on your answer now.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

Custody
The court decides custody based on "the best interest of the child." Ex parte McLendon, 455 So. 2d 863 - Ala: Supreme Court 1984. The Court takes takes into consideration things like home stability, financial ability, plans for the future, etc. If you can hammer away at these factors and show that you'd be a better managing custodian than your ex, then the Court is more likely to award the custody to you.

Child Support
I am afraid that if she gets custody, the statute is clear that she has the right to request child support. However, you can limit your retroactive liability by explaining that you paid informal support, and/or you tried to help but she was keeping her information hidden so you could not... the court has some discretion here...