LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.

Am I at least entitled to remain covered with the health i

Am I at least entitled to remain covered with the health insurance
Good morning,

Thank you for asking for me.

Whether you may remain on the same plan, with your husband after divorce, depends on the terms of the plan. Many plans don't allow ex spouses to be covered under the same plan as the employee-spouse. If you can not be on the same plan with your ex spouse, you will be entitled to up to 36 months of COBRA insurance. This means you will get the exact same benefits from the exact same company---but you will be on your own COBRA plan. The difference is that your ex's employer will not pay part of the monthly premium. You will have to be responsible for the entire cost of the plan. You can ask the court to order that your husband pay that cost as part of the divorce though.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

Would you please rate me highly now, based on my assistance to you in understanding the law.

I wish you the best in 2012,