How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question

Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27687
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has 3 different child support cases all in TN.

Customer Question

My husband has 3 different child support cases all in TN. After being unemployeed for 6 months he is now over $5,000 behind and facing having his license suspended and facing possible jail time. Everyone has received a partial payment every month and he has taken employment for less money but better benefits at Univ. of TN (this will help with college tuition). We can not afford an attorney and have to work with 3 different counties. How can I best proceed in having the monthy and arreares support lowered and keep him out of jail and driving so he can still work. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 2 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - The only way to get the payments reduced is to file a motion to amend the support to a lower amount. This should have been done as soon as he became unemployed. The courts will not reduce the amount to zero but they will lower it based on his income levels. If there is no motion to reduce the support it will stay the same. Support is based on guidelines and calculated according to the incomes of the parents. When there are this many different payees it can make it a difficult situation once the payments get behind since there's only so much money to go around. So the only way to get any relief is to file a motion to amend the various orders to reduce the base amounts. The payments on the arrearage are likely to remain the same.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The request for the monthly support was mailed to two of the counties in July after he took the job at UT. The case worker in Madison county is bias in the mothers favor and discarded the request, stating that we needed to of called and requested the forms from her first and she would of opened a request at that time and since proceedures were not followed we would have to request it thru her at this time. However the Tipton case worker excepted the request and that case is being re-evaluated and she stopped the drivers license from being suppended. I have requested the case workers supervisor in Madison tro return my call and yet here I wait. In the meantime a warrent is being put out and his drivers license is in jepardy. How could I have the case worker transfer the case to Knox county as ordered by the judge now that she has started the re-evaluation.

Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 2 years ago.

If the judge ordered that the case be transferred why wasn't it transferred? Are you trying to represent your husband in all of this and expecting to get return phone calls from the caseworkers?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, my husband mailed an notorized release form so the case workers can work with me. All three have received and have been working with me because he is unable to talk on the phone during their business hours. The case worker stopped the transfer to Knox by starting the re-evaluation of child support. I've called the judges office and they are the ones who advised me to file a complaint on the case worker and work with her supervisor, however she has yet to return my call. Do you know of a contact at the central child support office in Nashville who might be able to assist me. Also the two mothers (Knox and Madison counties) are working together and ultimately trying to have him arrested and sign over his parental rights if he wants all this to stop. The judge and case worker in Knox are aware of this and have provided him an attorney (who happens to be friends with the mothers attorney and has not done anything requested of him). On that matter can I request a new court appointed attorney without upsetting anyone?

Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 2 years ago.
I have no way of knowing local personnel in various counties in the US. This is beyond what we can do from this website and it is not legal information but simply contacting a specific office. You would have to contact the office directly and ask to speak to a supervisor. It is really difficult when you are not an attorney to try to represent someone in a family law case. They can simply refuse to talk to you and you have no authority to go to court and represent your husband regardless of the power of attorney. So all you can do is keep calling and trying to get hold to the proper party.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The expert was not familiar with the state's regulations and was not able to properly assist me.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely

    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: