How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Tina Your Own Question

Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33162
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Okay I know this is going to be very confusing. Me and my wife

Customer Question

Okay I know this is going to be very confusing. Me and my wife had gotten married 2 years ago. I had plans on living together but she refuses to live with me this is been going on for 2 years. Does this mean we have been legally separated since we've been married. If so do all of our assets have to be separated equally. We do have 3 kids I understand that I will have to pay child support. Well I also have to pay spousal support. I know this is a very awkward situation. I feel that I have been used because I have a job and she does not. Thank you for your help.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Why have you and your spouse chosen not to live together since you were married? Do you believe she engaged in fraud to lure you to marry her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i n e v g h t l a n d a n d s t a r t e r

,First thank you for wanting to help me. 2 years ago when we decided to get married we planned on buying a piece of land. I bought 2.1 acres put water sewage electric and a trailer she still refuses to leave her mom's house. Not saying that having help from the government welfare is necessarily a bad thing. But they receive food stamps for my children and for my wife since I have a good income they don't want me to stay there because they will lose government help. I pay for my kids I am the 1 that support my kids I pay for their every need food close water healthcare exc. So my guess is it may have some to do with fraud. Thank you again
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.
Hello again, Paul, and thank you for the additional information.

Since you are married and able to support your family, it appears that your spouse is engaging in welfare fraud and should be reported to the authorities for this, but since you are married, they could investigate you as well, so it would be best to retain a local attorney to represent you and ensure you are not prosecuted.

You are not legally separated without a court order to that effect typically and all property that has been acquired during the marriage would typically be subject to an equitable division by the family court if you were to divorce.

The state may seek an interest in the property though to repay the state benefits that have been gained by misrepresentation though. Your spouse must be indicating to the state that she is not married, or that you have no income in order to obtain state benefits. This course of action should be stopped as it is likely she will eventually be prosecuted for such conduct.

It has been my pleasure to assist you. Please remember to press the smiley faces/stars on the right of your screen when we are finished with our communication so I will be credited for my time.

Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

Thank you very much and all the best to you,


Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.
Hello again Paul,
I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer was helpful in clarifying your understanding of the law.
Is there anything else that I can assist you with? If not, would you please rate my service to you highly, so I will be compensated for my time? It is important that you provide me with a positive rating. If you do not, the site may keep your entire deposit and I receive nothing for having provided this service to you.
Also, please feel free to bookmark my profile if you have legal questions in the future using the following link:
Thank you very much and good luck to you.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
< Previous | Next >
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
  • LawTalk's Avatar


    Attorney and Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
  • Brandon M.'s Avatar

    Brandon M.

    Family Law Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers: