Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

Can My Ex-wife and I make a legal document, have it notorized,

Can My Ex-wife and I make a legal document, have it notorized, and signed by witnesses. and have it supercede the roginal divorce decree if we both agree on everything. including child support?
.
After a divorce decree has been issude and marital property settlement is entered, then the parties would be free to make a newer agreement with regard to division of any property or assets owned and it would be completely binding once signed and notarized. Once parties are divorced, they can enter into virtually any kind of agreement they choose to.
.
But with regard to child support, since this is a continuing court order for payments, it would have to be modified through the courts in order to be legally binding. However, as long as any support didn't fall below the minimum set by the state for child support, both parents could file a motion to modify support and ask the judge to modify the amount to meet their agreement. For example, if the minimum support set by statute is $200 per month and the non-custodial parent was ordered to pay $500, the parents could ask the court to lower it by agreement as long as it was not below the $200 set by law.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please remember to rate my answer. I will gladly continue our discussion until you have gotten the information you need.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” or “CONTINUE CONVERSATION” button.

.

Please keep in mind that I am trying to help you understand and resolve your situation. I don't make the laws, I am just reporting or interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.
Please be patient as I am typically working with several customers at any given time. Some answers take 5 minutes, some 35 minutes. But rest assured, I will get back to you.

.

I am not entering into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. With that in mind, do not post any specific information you do not want available for public viewing. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.