TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

My husband and I were divorced in 1985. There was a court

My husband and I were divorced in 1985. There was a court order that provided me with 10% of his retirement, and 1/2 of his "Thrift Savings Plan". He is now ready to retire. Since that time my exhusband's employment has remained at the same job; however, the company has changed ownership twice. My half of his "Thrift" was from the time we were married in 1972 through 1983, and the 10% retirement is labeled in the settlement as the original company. There is no mention of what would happen if the company was bought out. My question is simple, is the legal court order still valid even though the company has changed hands twice and does the retirement order cover the change in companies? What must I do to begin this process?
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Yes, the court order is still valid regardless of the fact that ownership has changed hands a couple of times, and the order does cover the change in companies. In order to get the funds, you should send the order to the HR in the company and ask if they would like for you to fill out any forms in order to begin receiving your portion of the retirement.

Does that answer your question? Let me know if you need clarification, and please remember to rate me positively so that I receive credit for my efforts.

Thank you and good luck!
Hi again. I just want to clarify one point. When I wrote to send the "order," I meant the qualified domestic relations order (QDRO).