Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

My boyfriend and I recently had a son and now my boyfriend

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I recently had a son and now my boyfriend has dumped me and wants to move on.We currently rent an apt. together and if he leaves I will have to move home to my parents which is in another state. What can I do to make sure child custody goes smoothly and child support is handled right?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

My name is FiveStarLaw. I shall strive to provide you with legal information. My answers are information only and do not form an attorney/client relationship.

I understand your situation and its difficulty. Please tell me specifically what information you would like to know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can I moves back to MD from VA with my son without any legal problems. I moved to VA and stayed because of my boyfriend. I have no other support system in VA and I will probably have to change jobs since I won't be able to afford to rent just on my salary. What do I need to do to work child issues out legally with my boyfriend?

Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.

I shall strive to provide you with legal information. My answers are information only and do not form an attorney/client relationship.

If at any time the information which I provide is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button. When we are done, please take a moment to click the rating tab to rate my work. My goal is EXCELLENT and I hope your rating reflects that.

Since there has been no court involvement, you may move back to Maryland with your child.

Without a court order concerning the child, both the mother and the father have equal rights. The parent that the child is with has the right to relocate or travel with his child as he sees fit and to deny visitation to the other parent.

Once you have relocated to Maryland, you will want to establish a parenting plan with the court.Of course, because of the nuanced details of the matter, I suggest that you retain a local attorney.
Here is a link to a free site that may assist you in locating competent legal counsel: www.Martindale.com